Saturday, July 5, 2008

Let Freedom Ring!!

Claire, Kim, Doran, Lisa
We are gone.............I have a lot of catch up posting to do but I will just work on this weekend. I brought my laptop but I am having a hard time with it. (It's probably the heat here is Mesa). I loaded some pictures on Cortney's computer so I will try it this way.
Last Saturday we learned of the passing of Doran's Aunt Carmen. The funeral would take place on Monday, the day before I left for girls camp. We also learned that Doran's brother, Kim, was invited to sing at the opening for the 4th of July celebrations in his home town. Kim recruited his sisters Claire and Lisa and then they wanted Doran to come down and sing with them. I talked to a couple of leaders and asked for their help in case I could not make it to camp.

Wednesday at 11:00 am Doran called me from work and said that he had made arrangements with work so that we could leave IN THE MORNING to head south. That was a short night. And I am going to miss camp. :(

The celebrations included a parade to begin with. Nathan, Jeremy and Alyssa decorated their scooters and rode them. Well actually, Nathan ended up walking their dog most of the way. I think he should have strapped the dog to the scooter. That would have been more fun. Then they had a flag ceremony which included.......
Alyssa and other children participating in the 'chicken catch'. This is the younger group. The winner got a prize. Alyssa and another girl caught the chicken at the same time. The winner of the older group actually got to keep the chicken.
Yeah Alyssa!!!
Doran and Alyssa participated in the 'horse' race. They almost made it to the end before Alyssa fell off. Cute, cute. The only thing they won......Doran got scuffed up knees.
They even brought in a helicopter.

And of course......eating. But I was so disappointed.....I was going to make sure I ate a healthy hamburger before I went and got my cotton candy. By the time I went to get some.....they had quit making it. All this way for nothing???? I love cotton candy. Here Kim is, enjoying a popcorn ball.Claire entered the ice cream 'churn' contest. So she recruited some family members. They didn't win but we enjoyed the ice cream there and more that night at the house.

Here we are with our $20 loaf of bread. A long time resident, 92 year old lady took the time to make this bread. The proceeds go to the celebrations. Doran won the bid at $20.It made some yummy toast for breakfast this morning.

Well.... off to enjoy the Arizona heat.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Looks like SUCH a great time!

Kelli said...

Looks like alot of fun

Chelsea said...

I miss yoU!!!

Yvonne said...

Looks like so much fun. Loved the pictures.

The Star Spangled Banner sounded wonderful. (I don't get to hear it very often, so it was a real treat--thanks)

The Hoyt Family said...

Wow looks fun.. I miss utah holidays.. They didnt do much out here for the 4th..

Mandi said...

That looks like so much fun!

Sandi said...

You know what? I think that is what patriotism is all about! We are free to have fun, enjoy our families, be silly, sing, dance and play. I love America. Thanks for the great pictures.

Anonymous said...

Alyssa was so excited to see herself on the computer. Thanks for putting us on. I loved it!!

New Blog

I have the NEW BLOG started and much to do but I wanted to share with the family and whoever else is interested in our Christmas activities...