We arrived Wednesday night and was able to see the family at the viewing and then attend the funeral on Thursday. What a beautiful service. Susette told me that Kali jumped right in and took charge of most of the planning. You did a great job Kali!
Let me just share with you the feelings I had there.
First of all I am so thankful to call this family my friends.
The funeral service was wonderful! The music was great!
Susette, Grandma, Kali, Cooper and Jordan all spoke. You did a wonderful job, all of you.
During the service, Doran was reminded about the song "Each Life That Touches Ours For Good" that was sung at his fathers funeral. He knows how much I love Susette and her family. I talk about how when we first met, we just stared at each other before we even said anything and I just KNEW I knew her in Heaven. I still believe that! She is the sister I never had. Anyway, when we stayed with them, Doran and Porter hit it off. They talked about music and guitars. Then when they came and stayed with us, Doran let Porter play his guitar. Doran thought and felt a great deal for this young man.
As we visited on our way home yesterday he told me how Porter was one of those spirits that just connect with EVERYONE. He is so accepting and loving and easy to get along with. Porter "Touched Lives For Good".
For the closing song we sang "How Great Thou Art". On the last verse I could sing no more. I knew Porter was there saying "It's ok everyone, I'm Home."
When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!
"Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
This made me ponder a bit.
I have no doubt that Porter recognized the Savior when he went home.
No, Porter was not perfect but he had so much LIFE and LOVE in him that you don't see very often. I think he was sent here to lighten burdens for others. I know that he left a mark for my family.
Will I recognize the Savior?
Am I doing things in my life that will draw me close enough that I WILL recognize Him?
When you look out the front of Susette's house she showed me the cliff that he fell from. Will this be a bad reminder of the pain or suffering Porter may have endured? I hope not. I looked at as where he went to meet our Savior. A private and sacred moment for him.
May we all do good deeds and work on ourselves to become closer to our Heavenly Father and Jesus that we may KNOW them.
Doran sang a song at my father's funeral that I dearly love and I thought it is good for Porter too. The first sentance could have been changed for my dad AND for Porter, but the message of the rest of the song is wonderful!

2 comments:
You have such a good outlook on even the most trying of times. Susette is lucky to have a friend in you. You are a very compassionate woman. I loved reading all your thoughts. And I'm glad you were able to be there with her.
What a sweet tribute to Porter, so tender and loving. I am so grateful for such beautiful friends as you and Doran. Thanks for all your love and support through this hard part of life. Our hearts have a hole in them but we will endure knowing we will see our little po po again.
Post a Comment