Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Florida - Day 4 Tuesday

Tuesday we got up and drove to St. Augustine. It was about 2 hours from where we were staying. Our first stop.....The Lighthouse. This was on Michelle's list of things to do so we decided to do this first so we wouldn't run out of time for it later. If you are afeared of heights just scroll down past this part.
I have never been in a light house before either. This was neat. I actually thought it would be much bigger. I guess I was thinking of those in the movies where they actually live in them too.Ready? Here we go......
This says I can get in.
We did the 192 steps up.......At the bottom there was an empty metal bucket. It was used to carry the oil up to the top. We had a chance to pick it up. Empty remember. It was HEAVY! So my thoughts are....well whoever worked there must be a big burly man to carry that up ALL THOSE STEPS. When we got up a few landings there was another bucket, and letting anyone pick it up again to remind us how heavy it was. Then on a few more landings there was like a life-size picture of the man that ran the place. Let me tell you, he DID NOT look big and burly. How he carried that up everyday is a mystery to me.
And the view from the top......
Time to go.....
Look at these trees. They are gorgeous!!
Now on to the old town of St. Augustine......
Good thing Michelle isn't driving. Look what she is doing in the car.
Here we are stopped at the train station waiting to go on a tour. This is the sheriff. He was a good host.
On our way.....The tour was nice. But if I had to do it all over again, I would definitely just park and go visit right in the 'old' part of the town and see the shops and stuff. I wish we would have had one more day there.
I paid a lot of attention so this is....... an old tree.
Then we got off to tour the FORT! It was cool. I can't imagine building this with the tools that they had then. And their potty room....ew. There was a chapel and a jail and a......
These are ALL OVER in Florida.Thanks for coming.
Then off to dinner with the boys. And finally a call that says I have a prescription waiting for me at Wal-Mart. Remember I was fighting, I think strep. I brought it from home.We ate a Coconuts. Yuck, yuck. Michelle and Doran had seafood. Art and I had something they called steak. NOT my favorite place!!!
But the company was GREAT!I sure love this guy!

5 comments:

susette said...

Hello Doran?? Your wife is kissing you. Could you please pay attention and quit smiling at someone else?

I love the lighthouse tour. I wanna go to one someday. You always look so cute all dressed up in your fun jewelry. Teach me.

Ashley said...

Wow you got so many great pictures! Those trees are insanely cool, and I just want to jump right into that ocean!

Chelsea said...

HA. So who was taking pictures from the drver's seat? Hmm?

Jen said...

I love lighthouses! This was beautiful and the scenery at the top is outstanding! The old town and the old fort (not fart) looked awesome too! Looks like you had a grand time!

kate said...

I need a vacation. I am jealous. It looks like a ton of fun. Have a great weekend.

New Blog

I have the NEW BLOG started and much to do but I wanted to share with the family and whoever else is interested in our Christmas activities...