I am so upset that we didn't get before pictures with Hillary and Andrea (the ones we drove over with).
Everyone had to ride the bus up to the start which was about a 15-20 minute ride. If you know me....huh hum...car sick. Well I actually did pretty good. The roads were wet from the rain but it wasn't raining by time we got there. The temperature was fabulous! Well come to think about it, the first mile or two was pretty muggy and hot but then it got better.
I can't believe how many people were there and everyone that signed up didn't even make it to the race.
When we ran this a couple of weeks ago (only the first 10.5 miles) we had a good time. I enjoyed just about every bit of the run. For the TOU Half, ya, well not so much. After being down for a couple of weeks and even more a couple of weeks before that I was feeling heavy and out of shape. Someone said I should feel rested, but I knew that I was TOO rested. Doran, Hillary and Andrea took off from the start. Then I saw Jen, Heather and Jodi and caught up to them only to have them leave me in their dust. I knew if I tried to keep up with ANY of them I would be done at mile 3. I tried really hard to have positive thoughts the whole race, half the race. I didn't do very well.
It was so nice to see Mom, Stan, Ben and Sarah at mile 10.5.
Doran said he had a rough go of it this time too. Was it a lack of energy, dehydrated? Before the race started we got our warm gear off and put them in our bag and threw them in the bus. Well after we did that, Doran realized he left his GU in his bag. Andrea had an extra one and I gave him one of mine. Maybe I should have kept mine.
When I got to mom I was running SO FAST that they nearly missed me going past. Ok, maybe they just didn't see me behind some runners until I yelled at them.
Mom and Stan found me again at mile 11.5 - 12 miles. Right here is the last uphill part. I am exhausted. I stopped too many time to walk and I was beating myself up. I started running again just before the top of the hill and mom was on the right of me with Stan taking this picture. I told her to come on and she started running with me. I am SO glad they were there! I am especially thankful mom ran with me. I was so tired, thirsty and depressed.
She ran with me for about a block. I stopped at one point and then a "pink" girl passed and I told mom I had to catch her. I was playing a chasing game with "Pink" girl for the past several miles. So I began to run again. Mom handed me a tic tac and peeled off. THANK YOU SO MUCH MOM!!! You will never know how much your support and tic tac helped me.
I went about another block or so and here come Mom and Stan in their car offering their mug of water out the window. Well of course I ran over and took a swig. I can't remember the last water spot but I know I took a cup and dumped on my head. It ran down my face and my sweaty salty body dripped in my eyes and started to burn. Note to self: Next time tip head back.
I can't believe how long it took me to get to the FINISH Line. I saw it from about a mile away and it just seemed to get further and further AWAY.
In my struggles from mile 6 and on I caught up to at least four people walking and tugged on their arms to get them running again. That was a little helpful to me too when they started running with me but then only to leave me again. Why oh why didn't anyone grab me when I was walking?
After Doran finished he came back for me. I had about a half a mile to go. Do you remember when I like to sprint when I am almost done with a run. I didn't think I would have ANYTHING left but I did pick up the pace and started, let's say I sprunted. My right calf locked up on me but I sprunted and limped right in. I didn't collect 200 dollars and went straight to the water and oranges. I should have just pulled up a bed while I drank and ate.
I was so glad to be done. I told myself and others I would NEVER, NEVER do a Full Marathon and I may NEVER do another Half again. As a matter of fact I may never RUN again. My friends here reassured me that I would forget how hard it was. Just like having a baby. PSHA! You guys are crazy! Jodi, Heather, Jen, Jody, Doran
Some fun stats to make us feel better:
Doran's time:1:52:46
15th out of 36 in age group
220 out of 627 men
402 out of 2013 runners
Jody's time:2:12:31
28th out of 72 age group
641 out of 1385 women
1085 out of 2013 runners
Doran is trying to convince me how well I did in my age category so I won't be upset with my time. Ok, well I know I could have done better because of my time during the Practice run. We just may have to run up there and do it again. NOT during a race though. Who wants to come with and run with us or be our water stops?
6 comments:
GOOD JOB!!! You guys did great!
I am SO proud of you! That is an incredible goal, and you will always know that you succeeded in running the TOU 1/2 marathon! Very impressive.
I am so proud of you both! You rock.
Wow! I am so impressed! Those were great stats for you both! Congratulations :)
I think you looked so awesome and look at how many of us who cannot say we even attempted something so difficult. Thanks for being a great role model! :-)
Oh, Jody, I am sooooooooo proud of you. Way to go. Your comments kind of scare me. I still want to do a half marathon, but I know I will have a tough time. But it's just a goal I have.
I keep telling myself the most important thing is finishing the race--not the time. AND YOU DID IT.
When I get down on myself and don't think I can do it, I'm going to come back here and re-read this post to remind myself that I CAN DO IT.
Amazing! way to stick with it, go Jody go! :)
oh yeah great job too Doran.
Post a Comment