Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Blacksmith Fork Freedom Run

It started Friday night....

We went to bed at a decent time but we could not sleep. We were both too nervous for the race the next day and I was worried what I should carry with me during the race. We bought some "Gu" and had it ready to go but I had no way of carrying it. No pockets in my shorts like Doran's and I really didn't want to carry the waist pack that I have because it rides up by belly (like a bowl full of jelly) when I run. Also I was worried that I needed to carry my phone in case I had to call 911. (There was no service on the route anyway.)

The Idea
So....about 2:30 I was up tossing and turning and so was Doran. I finally got up and looked in my clothes to see if ANY of my shorts had pockets in them. Doran also got up and looked in his. He found several but I didn't want to wear his shorts. I did find some heavy shorts that I haven't worn for a long, long time. They had regular side pockets in them. Well I thought to muself...I can cut a pocket out and sew it in the front of my shorts I was going to wear to make a "Gu" and "Sport Bean" pocket. I know, I know...this would be great if I would have thought about it DAYS ago. So with this idea, we went back to bed to see if we could get ANY sleep.

The Pocket
After tossing and turning most of the night we got up at 4:30 to get ready. We needed to leave the house by 5:15. I cut my pocket out of my old shorts and grabbed a needle and thread. After gathering the rest of our gear we headed out with only my biker shorts on....HEY, we were in the dark car. As we drove through the canyon I began to sew my new pocket. It was ingenious! We were so proud of me!! I should patent this!

The Friend
Anyway by time we arrived in Hyrum (and I finished getting dressed), we made good time. One of Doran's friends that lives in Hyrum met us across from the park (where we would finish) to give us a ride up the canyon to the start line AND he took our picture. Thanks Chet!The Plan
Let me tell you....WHOA!! I have been afeared for several days now. This is the most miles that I have ever run, ran, runned? This was a 15k run. It actually turned out to be 9.4 miles. (Which we RAN the whole way. No stopping for us.) Doran was more nervous for me than he was for him. He would have stayed with me the whole way but I told him since he also registered he was to do his best. He could either go to the car and get the camera when he was done to take a picture of me running through the Finished Line with my hands way above my head shouting Woot Woot! :) OR he could come back and get me.

Here we go...
We were close to the front of the "pack". I did not want to start way at the back and I told myself I didn't care how many people passed me, I did NOT want to START at the back. I have also heard how people get caught up in the pack instead of pacing themselves. Well I was DETERMINED to go at MY pace and not everyone else's even when they are flying past me. I held true to my goal. I watched Doran slowly get smaller and smaller and he got further and further in front of me. Go Doran GO!!! At about mile 1 someone caught up to me on my right side (my favorite partner side) and stayed with my pace and stride. After a little ways I finally looked over and introduced myself and she did the same. I told her it was nice to have someone with my same stride run with me. We enjoyed some chit chat and also enjoy some silent running. It was a BEAUTIFUL run! We were enjoying ourselves. Her name is Teena. She told me I looked familiar and I told her I get that a lot. Then I told her it was probably in the pre-existence. When we were close to mile 4 (water stop) I asked her is she was going to grab a cup as we passed. She said she doesn't usually but decided at the last minute that she would. For those of you that know me, you know that I can't WALK and drink at the same time. I always have to stop and drink, so for me to RUN and drink.....Well as I grabbed a cup while I was running I did the best I could to get some IN my mouth. I spilled it all over my face (with little getting IN my mouth) AND I ended up dropping it before I could get a second chance!!! What was I going to do now? There wasn't another water stop until mile 7. It's a good thing it wasn't hot and there were not a lot of UP hills.

The day before, Doran and I drove over to check out the route and estimate WHERE the water stops were going to be. The 4 mile was pretty close but we were off on the 7. There was a 4 tenths of a mile Up UP UP hill at mile 7 and at the top of it we figured the water would be. NOT!! It was at the bottom of the hill. Well about half a mile before the KILLER hill it gradually started up. My quads started getting sore. We reached for the water/Gatorade and I did it again! I DROPPED THE DANG CUP!! No water. Well remember the "Gu" pocket I sewed? Well ya, it's a good thing I didn't TRY that for the first time during this run because I would have choked with no water to wash it down.

Support and Pain
After I dropped the water (or maybe it was before) I looked up and who did I see? My MOM and STAN!!! Oh it was so good to see someone you know that is there for you! I got tired of seeing "Go Megan", "You can do it Megan", etc. all the way down. This, my friends and family, is WHY there is a picture of ME!! (Not bad for having gone seven miles- says Doran)

This is as we are starting UP the KILLER hill. I am SO thankful that Teena was still with me. She is the one that actually got me up that hill without walking. She was giving me all kinds of encouragement on the way up. I wanted to just stop and cry but she got me through it. Miles before this I told her that if she ever felt inclined to go on ahead, that she should do it, but I was enjoying the company!
We MADE it to the TOP of KILLER hill!!! Yeah!!! Mom and Stan were up waiting for me again! Thank you SO much for the support!! Mom and Stan missed Doran come in but they saw him heading to the car so they told him to run so they could get a picture. Since they were going to be there at the Finish Line to take pictures, he decided to head back for me. When we had about a mile left I was slowing down and I could feel Teena getting antsy so I told her to "GO! Get out of here!" She left, but was only a few seconds in front of me when we got done. I gave it all I had about the last half a block. I sprinted as hard as I could and finished 1:29:31. Doran finished 1:17:19. We were both 8th place in our division. A total of 15 in men's and a total of 18 in women's. There were a total of 586 runners that started and finished. No wonder it looked like a sea of runners ahead of me.
This is Teena. I wish that I would have got her number or something so I could contact her. She was my "Angel" this race.

And yes, I was this beat. I was so glad I didn't have to go any further!
I keep telling myself, "Cool tar keeps moving. Cold tar stops." I will put one foot in front of the other and like the saying on a couple of posts prior.....I don't have to be FAST, I just have to be Steady and on the right path. My favorite part.....Doran said he was proud of me!! I LOVE it when he says that.

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!!!

After talking to a couple of friends I was convinced that running and nice feet do not go together.On Monday Doran and I ran 4 miles and after this run Doran and I both got a black toe and yesterday I took my shoes back and they let me trade them for a bigger pair. Doran's were used a little too much so they gave him a discount on a new pair. Now I hope they don't hurt and they will help me run faster.

8 comments:

Connie said...

You look fabulous running! Good for you for running all the way! What an accomplishment!

Chelsea said...

Yahoo!! You're awesome!!

Mitch and Cortney said...

Go Mom! Go Mom! Now you just have to teach me how to run and build my cardio up. I notice that every time you start running again you do it well... well my lungs don't like me that much... would you teach me to running?!

Jen said...

You are so awesome! Like She Ra awesome! Way to go! I loved your race report, it's nice that you had someone to run with. Hopefully your new shoes will be an improvement. But lots of downhill running will cause you to lose toe nails no matter what you do. Have you tried Body Glide on your toes yet?

Yvonne said...

Jody: I am soooooooooo proud of you. Way to go. You did so well. (That is almost my time on my 10K ; (

I love that you made a little pocket--way to go.

Congratulations or AttaGirl.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You so ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I could never have done that! Wow.
I'm so outta shape right now. You inspire me!

OK, need to get off the butt and get running!

I'm proud of you. You were even smiling!

Audrey said...

I am SO PROUD OF YOU!

susette said...

Okay first of all help me out by explaining what in the world is gu???

Second of all can I just say you are so awesome!! I can't even imagine what a challenge that whole experience was. You rock the world!

New Blog

I have the NEW BLOG started and much to do but I wanted to share with the family and whoever else is interested in our Christmas activities...