Sunday, August 16, 2009

Be Your Best Self

Today was a wonderful day!
Let me begin by saying my wonderful friend, Susette, and I decided to do more challenges to get ourselves better in shape, physically and spiritual and whatever elseally.

A couple of the challenges to be accomplished EACH DAY was to make sure we read so many pages of the Book of Mormon, read out of the church magazines, increase our personal prayers with sincerity. Eat healthier and not past 8 o'clock, exercise, yada yada. You get the picture.

Well let me tell you that my day started with making my bed and saying my prayer while Doran was in the shower. I told Heavenly Father what Susette and I are doing and told him I needed help. I am so grateful that I have always recognized the hand of the Lord in all the big things AND little things that happen in my life, so I know that when I said this prayer He would help me. Why I slack off on trying to be what He wants me to be is beyond me.

As I studied my lesson more this morning for my Primary class I could already feel the spirit.
The Sacrament talks were wonderful and it is always a privilege to be able to take the sacrament and covenant to try to be a little better each week. As I pondered my goals, we began to sing this song and it touched me deep.



God, Our Father, hear us pray;
Send thy grace this holy day.
As we take of emblems blest,
On our Savior's love we rest.
Grant us, Father, grace divine;
May thy smile upon us shine.
As we eat the broken bread,
Thine approval on us shed.
As we drink the water clear,
Let thy Spirit linger near.
Pardon faults, O Lord, we pray;
Bless our efforts day by day.


My joy just soared. You know the feeling. Ya, well....it was great. And it continued through the rest of the meeting and ending superbly with the closing song.

Savior, may I learn to love thee, Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another, Finding strength beyond my own.
Savior, may I learn to love thee - Lord, I would follow thee.
Who am I to judge another, When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden, Sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow thee.
I would be my brother's keeper; I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper - Lord, I would follow thee.
Savior, may I love my brother As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon, For they servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother - Lord, I would follow thee.


Well the wonderful feelings continued on through, yes, even primary. The love I had for the children and my teaching partner was wonderful. Did the spirit keep the kids reverent while I taught.....well no, but I was able to handle the distractions.


One of my all time FAVORITE books is by Thomas S. Monson - "Be Your Best Self". We received this book from my sister-in-law Lisa years ago. As I tried to find an article to read for my "goal" today, I found one titled "Be Your Best Self" in the May 2009 Ensign by Thomas S Monson. It was actually a talk given to the priesthood but it can be applied to all of us.

1. Study diligently
2. Pray fervently
3. Live righteously
And may I add, serve.


I have a testimony that when we do these things we will be fill the happiness and excitement for life and the love for others.


Remember our focus and Be MY best self.


Thanks for working on the goals with me Susette! You are the best!


The decisions you make today, determine your destiny.
Thomas S. Monson

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Glad you had a good day. Keep up the good work.

Jen said...

Sounds like it was a great day. Those are great goals. What a good example you are.

Beth at Aunties said...

Blogger was really doing a crazy yesterday and it wouldn't let me comment here.
I enjoyed your post very much and related to it in a very real way.
Susette has always inspired me too! I can see our own family in hers... about ten years ago.
I love both of those songs. During my second Sacrament meeting Sunday, I read and hummed the words of the one of them at a Spanish ward, I attended where Mr B was speaking for HC Sunday. The english words popped out and filled my soul as I heard gorgeous Spainsh voices around me sing them.
This was a beautiful and inspiring post and I loved the quote by President Monson.
Thanks for sharing! :)

New Blog

I have the NEW BLOG started and much to do but I wanted to share with the family and whoever else is interested in our Christmas activities...