These birds are taking up residency at his mom's house. When anyone tries to watch the momma gets a little cranky. But I stood still trying to get some shots. (no, not with bullets, with my camera)
Dinner TimeOff for some more grub.
So cute, huh!
The following morning....
SACRED MOUNTAIN PRAYER RUN....
I want to share with you the History of the NACA Sacred Mountain Prayer Run.
One of NACA's (Native Americans for Community Action) longest running and most successful special event is the Sacred Mountain Prayers Run. The first 10K, held in 1983 at Ft. Tuthill, south of Flagstaff, attracted 45 runners. Later, the race was moved to Thorpe park, which allowed for a closer view of the beautiful and sacred San Francisco Peaks. In 2001, a 5K race was added and a total of 325 runners participated.
The race is called a prayer run because of the Native American Tradition of "putting feet (action) to prayers". It serves as a purification process for both the runner and the situation for which the runner is praying as the runner undergoes emotional, mental, physical and spiritual cleansing. Native American teachings say that the Creator will bless those who are not lazy, those who will take an extra step in helping themselves and others. The elders say that those who desire a long, healthy and productive life must run before dawn, the most significant time for prayer. It is the time the Holy Ones shower blessings on the Earth.
The NACA Sacred Mountain Prayer run honors the fact that the San Francisco Peaks are sacred to all people. They are particularly sacred to the Navajo and Hopi People, who believe the Holy Ones and Kachinas, make the Peaks their dwelling place. Medicine people and elders go there to pray and perform sacred ceremonies. The steep terrain mirrors the struggles we all endure in our lives, so that then the runner reaches the top, there is no happier feeling than to have overcome that obstacle and feel that sense of accomplishment. They mentioned that the Medicine Man or Prayer Man would be on the 5k run. I guess it is tradition NOT to pass a Prayer man, but they told runners to go ahead when they see him. Every once in awhile you could hear some yells from him. It was kind of neat.
The course weaves through dirt and cinder trails with the Coconino National forest while maintaining an average elevation of 7,000 feet. It is considered "challenging".
This is the first map that a lady sent me when I e-mail her for more information. Notice at the beginning of the race it says "Killer Accent"? It must be a killer if it is on a race map? Smoley Hokes! It WAS a killer. Just when you thought you were through it, it leveled off for about 20 feet and started again. She then sent me this map, saying it was a better map. The course climbs to an elevation of 7,200 feet from a start/finish of 6,950 feet.
Ready.....set......GO!
Before the race I told Doran when he got done to come back and get me or go get the camera and take some pictures. I knew he would beat me by an hour. 99% of the run was dirt trail the rest was dirt road. After the Killer Ascent it opened up to a beautiful mountain scenery. I had to watch my step for a lot of the run because of the rocks. After the 5k split off, the trail started heading up a little more. I was tired. I couldn't seem to find my rhythm or my breath.
I really struggled on this run. I didn't have enough fuel to begin with. (What? I'm suppose to eat first?) When I passed the turn for the 5k and continued on for awhile I was wishing (in a way) that I would have done the 5k instead of the 10k. But I knew that I would have regretted it. I did walk some during the up hill stuff. I was getting really tired of the uphill stuff. REALLY tired of it. About half way through the run, maybe a little more, there was another runner I kept passing and then she would pass me. Well the last time I caught up to her she was taking a break, so I walked a little bit with her. After some grumbling encouragement, I told her "Let's go". We then ran together the rest of the way encouraging each other. I don't know what I would have done without her. I was so ready to quit and walk but I really didn't want to come in last. By the time we past up the last water stop, we were heading a little downhill. After that the rest of the race was GREAT because it was mostly downhill. We didn't stop from then on. The Prayer Run was just that for me. I was praying so hard that I could just finish. I was fighting a side ache since climbing the "Killer Accent". Doran didn't have much of a chance to come get me which was ok because of Erica. And he barely had time to get my picture. I guess I amazed both of us by coming in 11 minutes after him. I thought he would have beat me by 30 minutes or so. But he did get a good picture. I guess I should have put my makeup on and done my hair first. Sheesh, what WAS I thinking? At the very end of the race (I should have started sooner) I gave it all I had and sprinted. I told Erica a starting point where we would both run. When we got there, I don't think she could go anymore because she wasn't with me anymore. I could have gone further but that was ok.
I WAS NOT LAST!
MY FIRST 10K!!
6.2 miles
1:09.08
Doran came in at 58 min. That really was fun to do this with Doran in a far away place. Next week........Mammoth Marathon in Bear Lake, Idaho. He may do the 1/2 marathon and I will stick with the 10k. We both had new shoes and there was no need to break them in, they were wonderful! This really was a beautiful run!!
Giving it all I got. He almost missed me I was going to fast.....
This is Erica. She told me her name and I tried to find her on FaceBook but I haven't been able to find her yet. Thanks Erica!The weather was even perfect!!

8 comments:
Jody, you are so awesome! Great job on your run, it sounds challenging! I can't wait to see how you do this weekend with fuel in your belly before the race. Plus it's nice and flat so your knees will be thanking you. Love all the pictures. Baby birds are just too hard to resist even if it does end with a bird beak to the eye! And welcome back, Courtney!
I mean Cortney!
Great Job Jody! You are amazing!
I can't believe you did all of that in such a short time. You guys are so adventurious. I hope Brenton and I can run together someday. What a beautiful run and tell Cortney good luck with her schooling.
You're my hero! I'm very impressed.
I'm so impressed by your 10K! And how nice to have Cortney close to home again!
Great job on the race. You ladies that run amaze me. I could never do that. It does look like it was a beautiful area to run though.
You are AWESOME! I need a buddy to get me out there in shape, to the point of enjoying to run. I have a desire to do stuff like this I just don't have a stong enough one I guess.
You are my hero. Great Job!
Post a Comment