Monday, June 1, 2009

Mantua Dam Race practice

Last Saturday Audrey, Doran and I went to "practice" the Mantua Dam race. A few friends have told me how fun it is and the actual race is in July, I think. So I thought maybe I would try it this year. (Mainly for the T-shirt, "I survived the Dam Race") I was told that it was 5 miles. However, after getting on google it looked to be under 5 miles. Audrey and I ran it once while Doran went around two times. He is such a HE MAN!!

That was an interesting experience running on a dirt road and some 'trail' area. I am use to running on the road, sidewalk and treadmill. I really had to pay attention to where I was going and watch out for the bigger rocks. My biggest fear was meeting a snake in the tall grassy area. By this time I was running alone so I kicked it in gear to get past those couple of areas. So for that, I guess I miss a big rat laying dead in the trail. Doran asked if I saw it. Nope. I was watching for the long skinny slithery things. Eek! After getting SAFELY past the grassy areas and back on the dirt road, I ran into ONE HUGE snake! It was about 10 feet long and as thick as my calf. Ok, maybe it was only a couple of feet and pretty skinny but he might as well have been HUGE. I HATE snakes!! Yes, I used the H word. I stopped while he crossed the road and then I high tailed it out of there. Whew! It really was a nice run. I love to be OUTSIDE!

After our run we showered to get the plastered gnats off our foreheads, then headed for new running shoes shopping and a cargo net. We found a net (that would do) and found me some shoes. I am hoping they will help me run faster and jump tall buildings.

The cargo net is to help with moving Cortney back to Utah. Doran and I will leave this Thursday to go to AZ to load her up and move her back. YEAH!!! Now she can join us for game/dinner night at least once a month. Oh, I better get more organized. I told the kids that we would get together every 1st Sunday for dinner. We will now have to turn that into Saturday nights AND Sunday get togethers. So far I have been able to mess up June and July because we won't be here. Eh heh.

While in AZ and on our way back, we are contemplated whether to run a race held in Flagstaff. Doran would do the half marathon and I would try the 10k. It will be on Saturday morning. It sounds kind of fun.? ! ? I can't decide. Anyway I guess we will see how long it takes us to load Cortney up and head back. What ta do, what ta do?

5 comments:

susette said...

Oh boy! You sure didn't make the Mantua run sound very fun for me. Is this the same one you want me to drive two hours North for?? So I can run in dirt and rocks and look for snakes?? I think you are gonna need Doran by your side not this scaredy cat.

Oh p.s. cute little toes

Kori said...

Ack Snakes! I'm terrified of them too.

Jen said...

The answer is YES! You should run that 10K AND the dam race. I don't remember seeing any snakes. So thanks for that. You're awesome!

Kelli said...

your my hero, out there running like I wish I was but am too lazy after our crazy days here. Run for me!

Jen said...

That's so great Jody! Loved the vision of the gnats on your forehead! Ha.

New Blog

I have the NEW BLOG started and much to do but I wanted to share with the family and whoever else is interested in our Christmas activities...