THE RACE
An hour before the Peach Days parade started, the 10K race started. Here is Doran and Jason before. Go guys!!! NOTE: Doran is having upper back pain since the day before. This morning he was still hurting. Ok. My plan was to run a couple of blocks over and get them on their way past. Get back to the finish line and take more pictures. Then the parade would start right away and take pictures of #35 and #44 car/float. That was the plan.
An hour before the Peach Days parade started, the 10K race started. Here is Doran and Jason before. Go guys!!! NOTE: Doran is having upper back pain since the day before. This morning he was still hurting. Ok. My plan was to run a couple of blocks over and get them on their way past. Get back to the finish line and take more pictures. Then the parade would start right away and take pictures of #35 and #44 car/float. That was the plan.
The route took them south and then 2 blocks east and then back to the north again. That gives me a chance to take pictures before they head more east. Last year when I took Doran's picture I was standing on the west side of the street and yelled at him when he went by and he looked the opposite way. This year I told him where I was going to be and to look my way. Look what he did. He didn't follow instructions very well. Cruisin' along quite well.
Then here comes Jason. He looks like he is having fun.
This is just a little over half way. Audrey took this picture. Thanks Audrey. We don't know it but he is starting to have some trouble. With his back? No. He said as soon as he started running it must have snapped and was feeling better. Remember, I don't know any of this at this time.
This is about 9 blocks to go. Thanks mom for taking these. She called me when he passed them and said he did not look like he was feeling very good. K. I am thinking his back.....
Almost to the finish line. Here comes Jodi. Doran was in front of her when they passed me. He was in front of her when they passed Audrey. Where was Doran? Right now I am getting worried and thinking that his back must really be hurting him and that he must be walking or taking it easy.
Now I am in a panic. Here comes Jason. Doran was in front of him too. I was so worried that I almost forgot to get Jason's picture.
Then I get a phone call from someone I have no clue who he is. He asked, "Is this Jody?". "Yes". "I have your husband here on 100 South and Main, can you come and get him?." ONE BLOCK TO GO!!!! Ok, so I start walking down there then he calls back. "You will need to bring a car." Where in the heck am I going to get a car close to him? You have all been to a parade. Is there any close places to drive or even PARK right next to a parade? I had to run two blocks back to get my car. I passed Jason on the way and told him where Doran was to go sit with him until I got there. They had him by a bank so I was able to park in the drive-thru. (The bank was closed) Panic hit me when I found him. The emergency people that were there told me that the ambulance has already been called. They got there not long after I did. Here is Doran with my long time friend EMT Christie. I am glad she was there. He said he was feeling better/fine. I said NO YOUR NOT! He looked terrible. Sorry Doran. His heart was racing about 200 and skipping a beat. But his blood pressure was fine. He was sweating like a pig. (Update: Last February he went in for a stress test. The tests shows he has a beat, beat, skip while in his resting state. When he exercises the skip goes away.) This skip was not going away and so they loaded him in the ambulance and I met them at the hospital.
Notice the sign behind him. Eh heh. I guess that means he doesn't get to Whoo hoo at the end of the race. This made him the most upset. One block away and he didn't even finish. But I am glad that he is still around.
On Sunday we found out what had happened, because he couldn't remember much after passing Audrey and he REALLY couldn't remember what happened when he "collapsed". There were some friends in our ward that could see him coming up the road. When Doran got closer they could tell he was in trouble. He was doing the two-step. Going back a few steps and forward one but really wasn't going anywhere. Ernie ran across the street and got him through the intersection and then some people offered a chair to set him in. Then after they got some liquid in him they moved him over to the grass by the bank where I found him. Doran would have fallen if Ernie didn't help him. Thank you so much Ernie!!! I asked Doran why he didn't have any scrapes on his knees or anywhere and he couldn't remember. Now we know why.
It took about an hour to get his heart rate down and he stopped sweating so bad. They did some chest x-rays and an EKG. The EKG looked the same as February so we were able to bust out of there. I took him home and he took a shower and got some more fluids in him. We watched the BYU game while he rested a bit.
Notice the number and the "hand in ticket" still attached. That means he didn't finish. But I am glad to say that he didn't "Finish" either. I am so thankful for my best friend and I don't want him to cash in without me. Remind us to never run with this number again.
THE PARADE
Ok. On to the parade that we missed.
I was so excited when my mom called me last week. She told me that grandma got voted in as Queen at the Nursing/Rehab home she is at. She was going to be in the parade on Saturday. I was so excited to take pictures and whoot whoo her when they drove by. It was not to be. I am glad that Chelsea and mom got some pictures.
Here she is before the car came to get her.
What a fine car to be in eh? GO GRANDMA!!!
How fun is the cap and crown? I am soooo sorry I missed it. She had fun though. Waving to everyone she didn't know.
The girls joined the Mini Cheer group. The high school girls put this on. They are right above the balloon cheer.
How fun is the cap and crown? I am soooo sorry I missed it. She had fun though. Waving to everyone she didn't know.How cute is this?
12 comments:
Jody,
I'm so glad that Doran is okay! That was really scary! Congrats to your grandma! Your girls were cute!
What a scary time for you all! Glad Doran is okay though.
Wow intense! He did not look good in the pictures with the EMT, but glad to know he is doing fine! Peach Days looks like a fun celebration!
dont tell him but boy did he look horrible. Glad he is not finished yet. The parade and the kids look so fun and cute!!! That sunset pic is wonderful.
I am so glad he is doing better! When I passed him I could tell he was not doing well, but would have never guessed he would be collapsing in the next mile! That is really scary!!!
I had no idea you took that photo...of course I don't remember much about that last block anyway!!!
I can't even imagine how scary this must have been. I'm glad Doran is okay. Does this mean you have to run with him now? If the answer is yes, you're a better woman than I!
P.S. Grandma is a real cutie!
Okay - no more scares from Doran!!! Glad he's okay. I am so glad to see pics of Peach Days - I've been dying to see some. Looks like fun. Did you have some cobbler for me and a slime burger? Hope it was good!
I'm so glad Doran is o.k. That's just too scary mostly because I know what good shape he's in and to have that happen just stinks. Especially one block from the finish line. The rest of Peach Days look like it was fun. And Grandma looks cute!
Wow scarry...I am so glad he is ok.. If he could have only made 1 more block darn it. Peach days looked way fun.. I miss peach days.. I cant believe Jason was out there running.. I knew Jason in High school we used to hang out a little and i never would have guessed he would run a 10K.. Good for him.. Tell him I say Hi.... Oh cute little Grandma..
I'm so glad Doran is okay. What a nice parade. Congrats to your grandma...the girls are precious.
What a crazy way to celebrate!! I am so glad Doran is okay. I pray there are no more moments like that-keep an eye on that guy! ;-)
When I read Jodi's post today and she mentioned that Doran had a problem in the race, I had to come and see what happened--so glad he is o.k.
Congrats to your grandma. How fun.
Post a Comment