Thursday, January 14, 2010

Memory Quilt

This was my "big" project for Christmas this year. I was able to get my dad's jeans and shirts so I made my brother, Jon, a quilt out of dads clothes. I really love the pockets I was able to use. The squares ended up being 8X8 and made a mighty cozy quilt. I also wrote a poem to go with it and slipped it into a pocket and wrapped it up. I just wish I could have been with him when he opened it.
I love you JON!!

This is the material I used for the other side along with brown for the border.
Memory Quilt

Before you lies a work of love, pieced with thoughtful care
This quilt has imperfections, as our lives do, you’re aware.
And as we live and grow, and do our best each day,
We tend to make some choices that leave our edges frayed.

But we are stitched together with memories and love
From our family here on earth and our family up above.
At times our pockets overflow with service and love for others.
And when you’re tired from all your work, take comfort with these covers.

The squares are made from dad’s old clothes and used to comfort you
When life gets hard or lonely or when you want to celebrate too.
May we take dad’s finest qualities and spread his legacy
And bundle up in memories of love of life, friends and family.

Author
~Jody Shelley~

Your great accomplishments and things that you have done
Made dad so proud and happy to have you as his son.

I love you Jon!
Love, Jody
Christmas 2009

4 comments:

The Nelson Family said...

Very pretty. I love the poem!

Chelsea said...

It turned out great. Good job! Love your guts.

Jen said...

The quilt is amazing and the poem is beautiful. I'm sure your brother will cherish it forever.

Yvonne said...

What an incredible gift--I'm sure your brother will treasure it forever. Beautiful poem.

New Blog

I have the NEW BLOG started and much to do but I wanted to share with the family and whoever else is interested in our Christmas activities...