A good and long time friend of mine lost her father the other day due to years of illness. I went to his viewing last night to give her and the rest of the family my support.
As I hugged her and gave her my condolences, she asked if I got any easier. I told her it does. But as I left I was overcome with a moment of shedding tears. Not only for the loss of my father, but I "KNEW" what she was feeling. The hurt. The deep down in your heart hurt.
After my father died I realized how so important it is to "mourn" with those that mourn. You don't have to make things all better and really you can't but you CAN be a support in one way or another. I have always tried to be supportive to those that have lost a loved one, but until you lose someone you really don't realize what that really means when someone is there for you.
We don't know what to say? That's ok. Don't say anything, just be there or send a card.
I still fall short in letting others know that I am think of them, mainly because I am LOUSY at sending cards. Why do I write this now? I guess to remind myself that Heavenly Father loves and cares for everyone. And it is through us to see to the needs of others.
I will work on this better.
And Christie....I love you! You will ALWAYS be a very dear friend to me!!
4 comments:
Ohhhh - so important to mourn with those that mourn. I have lost my dad, too - it doesn't ever go away, but you can make it through the days and nights of missing him. My dear neighbor just lost her husband - I am taking it upon myself to be her comfort as much as possible. That's what the world needs - people just taking care of each other whenever and where ever they can.
*sigh* I just saw today that he passed away and I missed the viewing and the funeral. That breaks my heart. I have so many great memories of that entire family and even though through the years have I lost touch I think of them often. I'm glad you were there for Christie Jodi. I wish I could have been too.
Isn't it sad how anothers loss can take you back in time in just an instant. I guess that is why we experience pain so we can be compassionate towards others. Jody you are such a sweet heart.
So very true. It is just important to be there.
Post a Comment